Tuesday, December 14, 2010

An Anabaptist Creed from Korean Anabaptists

I'm not generally a credal person. At the English service of the church Joe and I sometimes attend we recite the Apostle's Creed, but I'm not really sure I can get behind everything in the Apostle's Creed. And I don't like the jump from virgin birth to suffering death. But here's one I like. It's always projected and printed in both Korean and English and recited in whatever language is most comfortable to each at Grace and Peace Mennonite Church.

I believe in God the Parent, who made heaven and sustains it. May God bless us and have mercy upon us.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and lived in this world like us. He called his disciples and taught them the good news and truth of God's kingdom; he also teaches us about the beloved community; peace and justice were his; he cared for the poor, the sick the widow and orphan. He faithfully obeyed the word of God and was crucified, died and was buried, and on the third day rose from the dead. He is seated at the right hand of God from there he will come again.

I believe in the Holy Spirit who empowers us, renews us daily, refreshes our souls, and helps us to share our lives and possessions and reconcile with each other.

Finally, I believe in the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting. may God bless us to do God's will with humble minds though the church, of which Jesus is the head. Amen.

No comments: